Essential Oils for Allergy Sufferers
Are you an allergy sufferer, or know a loved one who is? As flowers bloom and pollen fills the air, you may be thinking….tis the season for sneezing and wheezing. Think again.
My friend Sandy didn’t have allergy symptoms last year for the first time in 35 years. The only difference in her life was helping me make essential oil products 4-5 times in the early spring. If inhaling essential oils could work for Sandy, it may also help you prevent or relieve your allergy symptoms.
Which Essential Oils May Help Allergies?
Although I am not a health professional that can make medical recommendations, I LOVE to share about the treasures that God has tucked into what He created. In my clinical aromatherapy training, I learned about 2 chemical components that can be helpful in relieving nasal congestion and allergy symptoms:
- Menthol (high percentage found in peppermint) – See Research.
- 1/8 Cineole* – See Research. There are over 200 essential oils with 1/8 cineole. Eucalyptus, which is in Breath of Fresh Air, contains over 50% cineole.
According to Dr. Shirley and Dr. Len Price, authors of Aromatherapy for Health Professionals, the following essential oils have been effective for sinusitis:
- eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
- everlasting (Helichrysum angustifolium)
- lavender (Lavendula angustofolia)
- naiouli (Melaleuca viridiflora)
- tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- peppermint (Mentha x piperita)
Ways to Use Inhale Essential Oils For Allergies
- 4 of the above ingredients are in the Oils of Shakan Inhale Delight product – Breath of Fresh Air. Although I originally designed it for the refreshing “pick me upper” scent, I discovered that there were several people who tried it, and found their sinuses cleared up!
- Diffuser – Add 5-10 drops of any of the above oils into a diffuser to help clear the allergy blues.
- Shower – add 5-10 drops of any of the above oils as you turn on the hot water. Inhale, and S.E.E.P in God’s presence.
Sandy’s Surprising Story – When my friend Sandy informed me that she was able to breathe freely for the first time in over three decades, we were both thrilled. Honestly, it truly surprised us since she did not intentionally use the essential oils for this. She helped me make products before allergy season began. Although she helped me make our Wise and Awake product (with a high percentage of menthol), that was only for one hour. Sandy spent more time helping me make other products. Upon reflection, it makes sense. God designed many essential oils with anti-inflammatory properties. Sinusitis is an inflammation of the sinuses, and rhinitis is an inflammation of the nose or mucous membranes. Thus, being in the fragrant environment of essential oils would naturally prevent the inflammation – God’s creations are truly amazing!
Patty – “I love Breath of Fresh Air! I use it ALOT. I am in my car a lot & had been spotted using it at traffic stops by a stranger who probably thought I was weird, whatever! It clears my sinus and makes me feel good. God’s plan IS better!”
See this testimonial video & more on our YouTube Channel here.
For more testimonies about Breath of Fresh Air, see the product page reviews.
Understanding the intricacies of the treasures God created in essential oils, and seeing how allergy sufferers breathe more freely, gives new meaning to….
Let everything that has breath, praise the Lord!
*Warning: Do not use essential oils high in 1/8 cineole or menthol while pregnant, with children up to age 10 young children, or if you have a medical condition. Essential Oils Safety (2nd Ed), by Robert Tisserand and Rodney Young is a great resource for using essential oils safely.
Products Mentioned in this Article
Eccles, R. Current Allergy Asthma Reports (2003) 3: 210. doi:10.1007/s11882-003-0041-6
Kehrl, W., Sonnemann, W., Dethlefsen, U. Therapy for acute nonpurulent rhinosinusitis with cineole: results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Laryngoscope. (April 2004) 114(4):738-42
Price, L., Price, S. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. London: Elsevier (2012).
Fragrant Wednesday Wisdom is our blog or vlog (video blog) that covers inspirational and educational messages about the benefits of essential oils and other gifts from God’s creation from a biblical and scientific perspective.